A new paper was published by our group on soil organic carbon dynamics following afforestation of semiarid shrublands.
- Afforestation with Pinus halepensis promoted soil C sequestration.
- Afforestation led to long-term changes in fungal but not in bacterial populations.
- Changes in soil C pools and fungal taxa increased soil aggregation and C stocks.
- Soil organic carbon was stabilized in microaggregates whithin macroaggregates.
- Physical-chemical stabilization of OC is a key aspect to maintaining soil C stocks.
The paper will freely available for 50 days from here.